Camden Calling is a social enterprise run collectively with homeless and ex-homeless people whom put their problems aside to host live music events for a mainstream audience. Every event is in part planned, promoted and produced by the Camden Calling members enabling them to use current skills while facilitating the development of new ones. Our mission is laid out below.
To improve the access homeless and vulnerable groups of people have to mainstream music / arts and popular culture; To create opportunities for our members to develop friendships, confidence, working relationships & transferable skills, engendering a sense of belonging.
Calling is a democratic organisation and member volunteers will shape the direction in which we grow. Having a say into the ways in which our profits are invested in them. Camden Calling is a project founded on the principles of empowerment and aspiration for change” Camden
Agreed by Members 28 November 2008] Mission
The organisation has been running for 3 and a half years and has been very successful, hosting a successful resident music night at The Enterprise a venue at the heart of Camden’s vibrant live music scene. In addition to this we have achieved the following.
- Produced and released independently a compilation album of original music
- Assisted members to find work experience placements
- Referred members to career development courses
- Supported members to release original material
- Developed strong links with homeless charities St Mungo’s, Thamesreach & Crisis 3XE network
- Provided members with references for employment
- Provided members with laptop computers mobile internet access
- Supported a member to win a bursary to produce debut album
- Won an award for delivering excellent outcomes for vulnerable people
- Supported a member @ her first big festival booking Secret Garden Party
- Facilitated members taking lead roles in video production project
- Member on financial management team
- Won runner up award RISE 2011 for excellence in improving lives of people with mental health issues
- BBC Storyville documentary about Camden Calling in production with film maker Anna Edwards
- Radio Podcast series in production 2011-12 in partnership with Endell St Studio
- Locked in Transit Video project in 2nd year
- Member featuring as guest performer on Heavy Load Charity Single for National Hate Crime Campaign
- Long term members now managing key areas of work
- Market stall providing work experience
- Members supported to perfrom at Watusi Festival
- 2nd Residency at The Good Ship started 2012
If you are a homeless person who would like to get involved we would love to hear from you. We welcome interest from performers and non performers alike. All Camden Calling events involve planning promotion and production elements from our members. So if you would like to share your skills gain new ones or just have fun please make contact. If you are a member of a band or a musician that would like to support our events and play some fantastic venues for a great cause please get in contact. If you are a member of the public join our mailing list or our facebook group and get down to some of our gigs. If you are a venue [particularly a
venue] with a night free in your events calendar we promise eclectic music, a friendly crowd, and an opportunity for your venue to give something back. If you are involved in the world of promotion / production / media and the arts and would like to offer a vulnerable person the opportunity of work experience, please give us a shout.Camden Calling would also be interested in hearing from corporate sponsors. Camden
You can contact us Alexis via this link.